Saturday, June 16, 2007

My Faye-vorite Idol

It was one of those usual lazy Saturday afternoon, when I decided to ransack my cd collections and found some of Faye Wong's cds I bought years back. And yes, she's my favorite chinese singer ever since the release of her 'Tian Kong' album at the end of 1994. It was arguably one of the best Mandarin pop album ever produced to date, and undoubtedly a classic among all other Mandarin music. Even the alternative music fans would find her music so appealing.

My Faye-vorite CD collections

A lil bit on her background. Born on 8th August 1969, she first shot to fame with the stage name Shirley Wong. As she was reaching stardom after the release of her first album, she decided to travel to US to study music and to better her vocal. When she returned to Hong Kong, she released a very important album to her career, Coming Home, and decided to changed her name to the original Faye Wong. Several songs from this album became big hits. This album's popularity made her a superstar. From then on, there was no turning back for her.


This Chinese pop diva has since been a favorite among chinese music listeners throughout the 90's. Surprisingly, not everyone likes her though. Some says she's snobbish. I'd say she's got character! Some condemns the way she sings. To me, her voice is simply unique, second to none! And when she came to Malaysia for her Scenic Tour 98-99 Concert in August 1999, I did not miss the chance to catch her live performance. What can I say, splendid!


I'm still keeping the concert ticket :D


Unfortunately, after giving birth to her second child, she's rumoured to have left the music industry for good. May she and her family be well, and of course if you'd ask, I still harbor the hope of her returning and continue to graze the music world with her unique vocal. Even if she doesn't, she has certainly set a high standard benchmark for fellow chinese diva-hopefuls to follow. She will always be remembered for her exceptional music talent and her chart-topping wonderful chinese songs.


Below are some of her pic I snapped from the picture magazine I bought during her 1999 concert in Bukit Jalil.


Cheers Faye!





4 comments:

MikeM said...

no wonder u like janice so much... becos she looks like Faye Wong???

Kenji's Dad said...

whoops?

OK talk about aaron kouk next!

Anonymous said...

Ini budak memang confirm Faye Wong punya fans lar...
Malam malam ajak saya pigi Yee Hai curi Faye punya poster!!!
Think back memang buang... buang maut... :P

Chris said...

Fuhhh...LOL...those were the days...young and dangerous...in the end, Yee Hai had to stamp the posters with their company logo so that we dun steal it anymore...LOL